Hi everyone! Today, I’m going to start off 2017 with a book tag! I came across this tag on YouTube, through Jessethereader. He’s a BookTuber that I watch really regularly, and is basically one of my inspirations to start this book blog, so you should totally check his channel out.
Anyway, this book tag was created by another YouTuber whose video I will link to here. And without further ado, here are my bookish resolutions this year!
- An author you’d like to read, that you’ve never read before.
- Maria V. Snyder
- I’ve heard so many awesome things about her books but I’ve never read them, so I’d like to pick up one of her books this year. I borrowed Inside Out and Outside In (The Insider duology) at my local library recently, so I’m looking forward to reading them! I wanted to read Touch of Power but I couldn’t find it at the library so I stuck with the two books I mentioned. Nevertheless, I’m excited to see where Maria’s books bring me.
- A book you’d like to read.
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
- I actually borrowed it from my local library on Friday last week, so I’ll be reading it real soon! I came to know of this book through Sasha Alsberg (another BookTuber) and she did such a good job keeping me in suspense that I just had to hunt high and low for a copy of the book at the library. And I finally found it! It was the only copy available at that moment too! I’ve just started reading it and it’s really interesting and mysterious so far!
- A classic you’d like to read.
- Believe it or not, I have never read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. Not even when I was growing up! So it’d be really nice if I could pick it up some time this year and read it.
- A book you’d like to re-read.
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
- The last time I read this was more than 5 years ago so I’d really like to delve into the world of Narnia once more and relive my childhood!
- A book you’ve had for ages and want to read.
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- I’ve had it on my shelf for a while now but I never really got around to reading it even though I was so excited to read it then. So it’s definitely in my list of books I want to read this year!
- A big book you’d like to read.
- Replica by Lauren Oliver
- I borrowed this book from the library the same day I borrowed Stalking Jack the Ripper. And it’s one of the thickest books I’ve ever held, excluding collection books. I guess it counts as a big book then!
- An author you’ve previously read and want to read more of.
- Catherine Ryan Hyde
- I first read Where We Belong earlier last year and I fell in love with it. It was such an amazing novel where the protagonist goes through despair, grief, happiness and sorrow. And on that roller coaster of emotions, I saw the characters develop so much and saw a wonderful friendship kindled. Seeing how Catherine has even more renowned books, I’m very interested in reading more of her books.
- A book you got for Christmas and would like to read.
- I didn’t get any books for Christmas, sadly. But one book that I bought around the festive period was Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I had gotten Crooked Kingdom (the sequel) first but couldn’t find Six of Crows anywhere. In the end, I ordered it online from Book Depository and received it around Christmas! Hooray!!
- A series you want to start and finish reading.
- The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
- I’ve never read this phenomenal series before, even though there’s been so much hype around it.Well I guess it’s never too late to start, so this series made the list!
- A series you’ve started but want to finish.
- The Lockwood and Co series by Jonathan Stroud
- I read the first book, The Screaming Staircase, last year and I absolutely loved it! I never really got around to reading the rest of the series, but it’s probably one that I’ll try my best to read this year. The series is currently on it’s third book, so I hope I’ll be able to catch up in the midst of all the wonderful books I want to read this year!
- How many books do you want to read in 2017?
- 40 books! Though I’m not too sure if I’ll hit my goal because I am a stinking slow reader 😦 The good thing is, I’m down to 39 books now because I just finished All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which I’m going to do a book review on in my next post!
- Any other reading goals?
- I’d like to read more contemporary novels this year, because I’ve always been reading A LOT of fantasy books and it’ll be nice to have more variety in my reading lists. It’ll also lead to more variety in my blog posts!
And so that’s it for my new year’s book resolutions! I do hope that I’ll be able to read all the books that I’ve mentioned in this list by the end of this year. And if you’re reading this then you’re tagged! So feel free to complete this book tag as well. Also, I will attach the covers of every book I’ve mentioned in this list right down below, so do go check them out! I’ll be back next Wednesday with a book review so keep your eyes peeled!
Catch y’all later!